Monday, July 04, 2005

Earring-a-go-go

Independence Day=McDonald's Overnight shift once again. Which is fine. This summer's job, while causing me to smell like grease after a shift, is actually a nice break. I'm enjoying it, in other words. I think most of that is enveloped in the knowledge that I'm not going to be doing this in a few months.

Today's the second day in a row I will have worked the 9:00pm-5:30am shift. I have but one issue. When I was asking to leave this morning, I was yelled at by the morning manager (who had come in 30 minutes before) about my earring. I wouldn't have a problem with taking it out, except that the McDonald's policy stipulates that only males must take out piercings. And I can't actually take it out for any appreciable time until August, but that's beside the point. I can't see how having an earring in my upper ear that's usually covered by my hair anyway when I'm working a shift during which the lobby is closed and only the drive-through which can't see me is open is in any way imparing my ability to do my job or the professional (which is what McDonald's is shooting for, it seems) image of the organization. I just don't see it. Particularly if the reason I can't wear a modest earring is because of my chromosomes.

I'm going to go do something else now. I think I might start a new Independence Day tradition based on what I did after my shift this morning, which is to watch American Psycho. We'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The policy for earrings at work is really pointless, especailly in your situation. The manager that yelled at you (Dessie) is really old and dumb, and most likely shouldn't be a manager. But that's okay. Guess I will see you the next time you work...until then!