Friday, February 01, 2008

The February Project

I was gazing lovingly at my own blog when I posted that last video, as I do on many occasions, and looked to the right at that part where it says how much I've posted in any given period of time. As it's now the first day in February, you'll see that I had four posts in January (only one of which was text) and that over the entirety of 2007, I had 22 posts.

That's just sad.

I always say that I want to post more often, and really believe that it might help my readership as I know I'm more apt to read a blog that I know updates constantly like Phil Plait's than I am to read a blog that updates never, like mine, because I give up on checking back for new things and if it's something that I don't usually check on Google Reader, it doesn't get read.

So I'm going to try something. A while ago, Rory (of roriness.com and bleacherblogger.com fame) who is actually funny and interesting to read tried an experiment in which he posted at least one entry every day for one hundred days. The original experiment, which he credits to someone he knows named Keacher, sets a 100 word limit on posts, but I'm really verbose and tend to write boring, interminable passages, so I'm just going to ignore that. I'm sure there's something satisfyingly artistic about condensing your thoughts into short posts, but I'm ignoring it anyway.

This comes mostly as a result of another blogging friend, Kriss, who writes bellablvd.com mentioning that she's going to try to do a 30-posts in 30-days blog-a-thon thing. Which I thought was pretty cool, reminded me of when Rory tried it, and I decided that I'll give it a go.

The really challenging thing with writing a post a day is that it, I think, is probably going to become difficult to keep it interesting, which is what I fear from things like NaNoWriMo. I'd like to get back to commenting on society, politics, cereals and the such, and so I'll try to force all of these to be at least somewhat more substantial than filler, but we'll see how it goes. Some will be text, but I think I'll try to do a video at least once a week, because I enjoy them. I'll try to make some of them funny. That will fail.

So yeah. We'll see how that goes. Hopefully, at the end of it, I'll have a thing on the right that says "February, 29" (what with it being a leap year and all), and I'll have a reinvigorated sense of blog-joy and will actually get around to doing this as regularly as I keep claiming I want to.

(I've also changed the template to make this more readable. Now that I'm using that DarkRoom application to write these, it struck me that the text was very... wide. So I've moved to this. I could make my own, of course, but I've got things to do. I don't. But let's pretend I have things to do.)

3 comments:

Rory said...

I tried to leave this comment a few days ago, but I think it got eaten. I'll paraphrase.

Its an ambitious experiment, and I commend you. I learned a lot from my "attempt" at it, but obviously it hasn't helped in the long run.

I was talking with someone recently about my desire to write more, and I said something along the lines of what you said with helping your readership. He said something I knew already, that you probably also know already, but that I needed reminded of and am doing the same for you, "Write for yourself"

fezvv

-Murphy said...

That's absolutely true, and the reason behind Murphspot. I seem to remember having more fun doing it when I was writing more often and could actually elicit responses once in a while, and I think this project's going to help with that, but I'm trying not to lose sight of writing for myself.

Part of the reason I decided to give this a shot was that I've been feeling unmotivated and as though I'm not actually using my time very wisely lately. If nothing else, as long as I can keep these posts interesting to me and avoid posting for posting's sake, I think that'll help give me an admittedly constructed goal.

Seriously, though, thanks for the advice. I hope I can remind myself to stick with that.

Silent Five said...

I am inspired, maybe. Is The March Project in store for el Jay, or will I fizzle out after five days as I most often do? We shall see.