Sunday, October 23, 2005

So...hmm. This is unnerving.

So here I was thinking that I wouldn't write about any kind of news today other than the World Series, in a futile attempt to confuse Murphspot with being a sports blog. So I write the last entry, return to Rum and Monkey before shuttling off to Evanston in the cold rain, and come across this. Holy freaking...

People have beliefs that are screwed up. In this case, white nationalism. I've come to accept that. But these kids are 13 years old, from the Magical Land of California, and I find it hard to believe that they've decided, freely, to start issuing remakes of Skrewdriver songs and other racist propaganda music. Their mother, April, has raised them (that is, pounded into them) the messages spread by the Nazi party and people like Ian Stuart Donaldson who, despite not being from Germany, have some sort of strange Vaterland fixation. I don't know what to say about this, other than I don't think I'd be so completely repulsed by the concept if they were, oh, I don't know, not 13 years old.

Disclaimer: That is not to say that 13 year olds cannot make their own decisions, but rather that thirteen year olds, in my experience (that is, having been a thirteen year old at one point, nine years ago) rarely have the kind of get-up-and-go attitude to do something of this magnitude without serious pushing from their parents. I don't think I had the patience to thoroughly organize my baseball cards, much less release two records and tour the country, espousing whatever beliefs happened to come into my mind (which, I believe, where mostly about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.)

I'm done with this now. The next update will be World Series-y.

No comments: